Monday, February 16, 2015

Off Season

Ugh, I hate the off season. There's all those headlines that read something like, "Nick Saban declared to be legally Satan" and the others that are like "Gus Malzahn admits to stealing toilet paper for rolling of trees" and people read them and fuss over the comment sections like these stories are realistic or interesting. Then of course there's the articles about what the players are doing in their down time. Hint: most of them are getting arrested. I, for one, just miss not having football to watch on Saturdays. I really feel like there is something missing in my life when I have to wake up and not get ready to watch a game of any sort on a Saturday morning. I'm not saying I don't enjoy the crazy stories of off season tales and woes, plus I'm a pretty big college basketball lover so March Madness is always fun for me, I'm just saying I miss college football. So in order for me to curb my appetite for the sport I'll be addressing some fun articles about the off season that keep us all entertained while we wait patiently for football's return.

Yeldon Overrated?
Anyway I'd like to address this one article that I read on my favorite college football website Saturday Down South about Alabama's own TJ Yeldon. Personally, I loved the kid. He was always a good running back to me. I mean Bama has never been short on good backs, and, while he wasn't Eddie Lacy or Mark Ingram or even Trent Richardson, he was still good. However, this anonymous scout came forward and said that he was "overrated, because he's coming from Alabama". I think this is a tad unfair toward not only Yeldon, who is very good, but toward Alabama as well. I just don't see how people can say in one sentence that Alabama itself is an overrated team and then in the next say that they're the best in the nation. Alabama has this thing about having some of the best players in the country, and they do this year after year. I mean as I mentioned up there they had Mark Ingram, Trent Richardson, and Eddie Lacy all right in a row. Ingram and Lacy are playing professionally and Richardson will be picked up by someone who will use him the right way and let him play because he's still good and he deserves to have that chance. But I digress, anyway the point is that Alabama has good players year after year. It's not fair to say that Bama is overrated because they are who they are. They're a good team every single year. Whether or not they win it all isn't even the discussion, it's that consistently they are one of the best teams in the nation. They're not overrated because being overrated, by definition, would be a team who was ranked high every year and then didn't win. Alabama is not that team. If you want a team that fits that definition well see Oklahoma. Yeldon shouldn't even be in the same sentence with overrated because he proved that he could play with one of the best teams in the country and rack up some serious yards while doing it. I'm not saying he's the best back in the world, because he isn't, but I'm saying that this scout is crazy. Yeldon won't go first in the draft, he won't even be the first back to go, but someone will get him. And that team will be dang lucky because Yeldon is good. He proved that over and over again. For the whole article, and SDS's commentary, go here.

Winston's Baby Fat
I'm only addressing this because I find it hilarious. Earlier last week I saw this picture surface of the Florida State quarterback Jameis Winston: 

He was looking slightly rounder than one would expect a quarterback to be and of course people instantly made fun of him for his physique, which is silly. But that's not why I want to talk about it. The picture itself is a little over a month old, so it's not even of Jameis recently, but it's still hilarious that this is something that is deemed newsworthy during the off season. One of my favorite jokes made about this picture was that he looked like the uncle from your family that swears he can still beat everyone at football. Or that he's basically like Uncle Rico from Napoleon Dynamite. I loved that comparison just because I sort of imagine that's how most quarterbacks are after they're finished with football, "No really I can still throw it 85 yards!" Honestly, it makes me laugh that this was even an issue that people brought up. No one even bothered to do research on it to see if it was recent before they made assumptions that Jameis had just let himself go right here before the combine. The Big Lead did a story on the picture where they contacted a guy at Florida State to see if the picture was recent and why Jameis looked so porkly, you can read it here. I love off season "news" stories. The Bleacher Report is the world's worst for stuff like that. I mean it's all funny reads, but it kinda makes you wonder if they actually ever report on real news. 

Anyway I guess that's all for this one. Until next time football lovers. 

Who's going to win the National Championship next year?