Thursday, April 13, 2017

Girl Power

Good morning college football fans, and dad. With just two blog posts left to fulfill my obligations for my class this semester I'm running out of ideas. The off-season is in full swing, and it's boring. I watched a baseball game yesterday. A whole baseball game. The worst part is that I enjoyed it. I'm having a rough time. Today though I'm going to talk about an interesting story that surfaced. You can read the whole thing here.

Basically it's about a girl named Becca Longo who became part of history the other day when she became the first girl to sign a letter of intent to play college football at a Division I or II school. She will play at Division II Adams State. She's also the first girl from Arizona to do so. Becca is a kicker and won the starting job at her high school, Chandler Basha, after her coach saw her boot a 42-yard field goal through the uprights. He says that he doesn't see it as her being a girl or coaching a girl, she competed and she won the job herself.

I've read about this girl before, and I love it. I know people have weird things about girls playing in "men's sports" but come on, get over it. If she wants to play and she can compete and she can be good, and she doesn't mind it, what does it matter to anyone else that she's a girl? I would be willing to bet that most of her teammates don't even notice that, they just see her as part of the team. Her coach asked his brother about how to coach a girl, his brother was an assistant coach at New Mexico when Katie Hnida was there. Katie was the first girl to score a point in a NCAA Division I college football game. She walked on at Colorado and transferred to New Mexico. Anyway his brother told him that "you don't coach a girl you coach a player".

Honestly I love that mindset. She isn't just a girl. Her biological sex doesn't define her. She can be a girl and also be a great football player. People don't look at dudes and go hey that guy is good for a boy. She should just be good because she's good. That's it. So you go Becca!

Who's going to win the National Championship next year?