Thursday, April 13, 2017

Magic Satellite on the Wall

The titles are getting worse the deeper into this I get. Last official post of my school semester but that doesn't necessarily mean anything. I intend to keep up with this thing, especially the closer we get to college football season. I missed a whole season with y'all, I feel like it's important to keep doing this stuff. Besides it's fun.

So for my last post I've decided to do my take on satellite camps.

It was Jim Harbaugh who really got the interest in these things. I think it was also Jim Harbaugh that made people question if satellite camps needed to be regulated since they seem to teeter on the verge of being out of control. Honestly it's really the SEC that complains about them. And it's because the SEC wants all the players to come to them and if Jim Harbaugh holds these fancy, schmancy camps and no one from the SEC schools show up, then what do they really have? I know that's not all there is to it, but I think that's mostly it. This article from CBS.com talks about an insider visiting the satellite camp held by Harbaugh and talking to him about exactly what it is. When Harbaugh was asked by the interviewer why he thought the SEC was upset about the camps he gave a pretty vague answer, "I've got an idea what it is. I'm confirming it. I want to confirm it first."

Mostly the people who were at said satellite camp said that the SEC won all the championships so why should they complain so much. Just let them have this. But I mean I guess I can kind of see where people like Nick Saban and Jeremy Foley, former Florida AD, can be upset. The camps have turned into more of recruiting stuff that goes unregulated by the NCAA. Instead since the NCAA doesn't really have rules on it they just make up rules as they go along and expect them to be followed. I don't really think that's fair, but at the same time if other coaches have recruiting rules that they have to follow, and they don't have these unregulated satellite camps, then I can see where the frustration is. But Harbaugh doesn't really seem to agree that the camps are for recruiting purposes as much as it is, in his words, "for the love of the game".

I'm sorry, but that's total and complete BS. Harbaugh may have a love and a passion for the game of football and for the kids that come to these camps. All of that may be entirely true, but if anyone, for one second, thinks that Harbaugh isn't also interested in how much this could help him and his team well that's crazy. It is basically all about being able to recruit in a roundabout way, and honestly the people who come to these things don't see it as an issue. If you read the comments from the families and the players who come to the camps, they all see this as a positive thing that comes to their communities and provides opportunities for kids to be seen when they otherwise might not have.

And who knows, these things may be awesome. And that's great, but does that mean that it's entirely fair to have them? Probably not. The coaches from the ACC and SEC can rejoice because the NCAA has new legislation on the table that deals with recruiting and the satellite camps in general. It would limit them to just a 10-day period in June which would suck for Harbaugh and most likely upset him, but it would make SEC and ACC coaches very, very happy. I don't see that as a fair compromise, to be honest. But the NCAA is not exactly known for their fairness and understanding, so we'll see what happens with it. You can read the full legislation stuff here.

Well, for the semester it's been fun college football fans, and my loyal dad who has read all of my blog posts every single time I've posted one. Thanks a lot dad! You're the reason I love football.

Keep returning fans, I'll be back.

Who's going to win the National Championship next year?